It is well known that Swami Vivekananda was very fond of Dhrupad music and wanted that our young men learn this form of classical music to develop a higher focus, sense of harmony with our higher nature at the microcosmic and macrocosmic levels, deep contemplative mood for self-elevation etc. The Pakhawaj, is known as the main accompanying instrument for dhrupad vocal music as well as dhrupad style performances on Rudra Veena and Surbahar. The Pakhawaj has a low, mellow tone, rich in harmonics. Like Tabla, Pakhawaj is also regarded high respect within Indian music culture. This university bearing Swami Vivekananda’s hallowed name has started, in a humble way, a Certificate course in Dhrupad Sangeet both in Vocal and Pakhawaj.
Visit Academics page for details about the courses.
Applications invited for admissions to 2022 Batch:
- Course duration: (a) One year for Dhrupad Sangeet (Vocal), (b) Two years for Pakhawaj
- Class Mode: Classes will be conducted mainly in class-room mode (in person), and through online mode whenever COVID pandemic restrictions are applicable.
- Due to logistic constraints, only male candidates (preferably in the age group 16 to 35) will be admitted.
- Eligibility criteria:
- Pass in 12th std. is the minimum educational qualification.
- Sense of music and/or rhythm, eagerness to learn systematically and willingness to undergo rigorous training to become a professional artist.
- Maximum age limit: 35 years (only male candidates).
- Mode of selection: Through interview.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their biodata along with the scan copy of duly filled application form (click to download) by email to . Application form can also be submitted in person at the Belur Campus Reception counter.
For better acquaintance with the courses candidates are advised to talk to (by phone) our Music teacher Sri Manik Lal Dey ( ) or visit our Belur Main campus (address) and interact with the music teachers.
Last date to apply: 22 Feb 2022
For any queries:
Manik Lal Dey : ( ).
For general queries: Call Reception Counter: Soumyadeep Roy Chowdhury :