It is well known that Swami Vivekananda was very fond of Dhrupad music and wanted that our young men learn this form of classical music to develop a higher focus, sense of harmony with our higher nature at the microcosmic and macrocosmic levels, deep contemplative mood for self-elevation etc. The Pakhawaj, is known as the main accompanying instrument for dhrupad vocal music as well as dhrupad style performances on Rudra Veena and Surbahar. The Pakhawaj has a low, mellow tone, rich in harmonics. Like Tabla, Pakhawaj is also regarded high respect within Indian music culture. This university bearing Swami Vivekananda’s hallowed name has started, in a humble way, a Certificate course in Dhrupad Sangeet both in Vocal and Pakhawaj.
Due to logistic constraints, only male candidates (Between age 16 to 35) will be admitted.
Details of the Certificate Course :
- Duration: (a) One year for Dhrupad Sangeet (Vocal), (b) Two years for Pakhawaj
- Class Starting Date:
- Dhrupad (vocal): We will start classes in online mode from end of Aug-2021 and switch to offline/class-room mode as soon as COVID pandemic restrictions ease.
- Pakhawaj (Percussion): We will start classes in offline/class-room mode as soon as COVID pandemic restrictions ease.
- Eligibility criteria:
- The course is open for male candidates only
- Pass in 12th is the minimum educational qualification
- Sense of music and/or Rhythm, eagerness to learn systematically and willingness to undergo rigorous training to become a professional artist.
- Maximum Age limit: 35 years (only male candidates).
- Mode of Selection: Through interview.
How to Apply
Applications when opened will be notified here.
Class will begin from: August/September 2021
For any queries:
Music Teacher: Sri Manik Lal Dey (Dhrupad Vocal): , .
Reception Counter: Soumyadeep Roy Chowdhury :