Details of the course
It is well known that Swami Vivekananda was very fond of Dhrupad music and wanted that our young men learn this form of classical music to develop a higher focus, sense of harmony with our higher nature at the microcosmic and macrocosmic levels, deep contemplative mood for self-elevation, etc. This University bearing his hallowed name, with a humble beginning, is running a Certificate course in Dhrupad (Vocal) since 2015. Due to logistic constraints, only male candidates are admitted for the present.
Duration of the course: ONE YEAR
Eligibility to Apply
- The course is open for male candidates only.
- Pass in 10th is the minimum educational qualification.
- Sense of music and rhythm, eagerness to learn Dhrupad systematically and willingness to undergo rigorous training.
- There is an age limit of 30 years. Candidates crossing this age limit may be considered on special consideration after interview.
Mode of Selection
Through a vocal test and an interview.
- Classes have started from 12th Jan 2018.
- Vocal test and interview will be conducted individually on convenient dates. If selected, the candidate may get admission on the same day.
The classes will be held on Sundays. It includes vocal (practical), Pakhawaj (instrumental-basics) and theory classes. The schedule of the classes is as follows:
- 9 am–11 am (Vocal-practical),
- 12 noon–1.0 pm (Theory),
- 3 pm–6 pm (Vocal-practical).
Application Fee and Admission Process
How to Apply
Application forms and Admit Card can either be downloaded from the links given at the bottom on this page or collected from the University’s admission office at Belur (just outside the Belur Math main gate). Please read the instructions printed in the application form carefully.
All the relevant information of the application must be duly filled and submitted along with a fee of Rs.300/-. It can be either a demand draft for Rs 300/- made in favour of ‘Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute’ payable at Belur Math, Howrah, (preferably UBI or SBI) or by cash. Completed application forms can be submitted in any of the following ways as given below.
1. Send the completed application form with the demand draft to the following address. The mail should reach us on/before the above-mentioned last date.
Please write on the top left of the envelope “Dhrupad Music”
Programmes in Indian Classical Music
Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute
PO Belur Math
Howrah, West Bengal 711202
2. Submit the completed form in person with the demand draft or cash to the University’s admission office at Belur by hand on/before the above-mentioned last date.
3. Send the completed application preferably in PDF format by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Bring a printout of the completed application form and printout of the email sent to us along with the demand draft or cash to the University’s admission office at Belur on the day of interview.
Admission and course fee: Rs. 6000/- to be paid at the time of admission.
Contact Person for Enquiry
Sri Manik Lal Dey (Music Instructor)
Mobile phone: 94338 29295 / 76878 40311