It is well known that Swami Vivekananda was very fond of Dhrupad music and wanted that our young men learn this form of classical music to develop a higher focus, sense of harmony with our higher nature at the microcosmic and macrocosmic levels, deep contemplative mood for self-elevation etc. The Pakhawaj, is known as the main accompanying instrument for dhrupad vocal music as well as dhrupad style performances on Rudra Veena and Surbahar. The Pakhawaj has a low, mellow tone, rich in harmonics. Like Tabla, Pakhawaj is also regarded high respect within Indian music culture. This university bearing Swami Vivekananda’s hallowed name has started, in a humble way, a Certificate course in Dhrupad Sangeet both in Vocal and Pakhawaj.
Due to logistic constraints, only male candidates (Between age 16 to 35) will be admitted.
Details of the Certificate Course :
- Duration: (a) One year for Dhrupad Sangeet (Vocal), (b) Two years for Pakhawaj
- Class Schedule: The classes will be held on Sundays. It includes both practical and theory classes.
The schedule of the classes is as follows:
- Dhrupad Sangeet -Vocal (One year): 9 am–5pm (Vocal-practical and Theory)
- Pakhawaj (Two year): 2 pm – 5 pm.
- Eligibility criteria:
- The course is open for male candidates only
- Pass in 12th is the minimum educational qualification
- Sense of music and/or Rhythm, eagerness to learn systematically and willingness to undergo rigorous training to become a professional artist.
- Maximum Age limit: 35 years (only male candidates).
- Mode of Selection: Through interview.
How to Apply
Download the Application Form or collected from university’s Reception Counter and our music teacher (contact number given below), duly fill it up and submit at the Reception Counter, Medha Bhavan RKMVERI (Belur Main Campus)
Admission and course fee: Rs. 6000/- to be paid at the time of admission.
Last date for submission of completed application form: 31 December 2019.
Date of interview: Will be conducted individually when you come to submit application form or on some other convenient date. If selected, may get admission on the same day.
Classes will begin from: 12 January 2020 at 9 am (National Youth Day and Swami Vivekananda’s Birth day according to English Calendar).
Last date of submission of application and admission: 31 December 2019
Class will begin from: 12 January 2020
Please note that the number of seats is limited. So, those who approach early will be given preference.
For any queries, contact our Music Teacher:
Sri Manik Lal Dey (Dhrupad Vocal)